WANDERING THROUGH LIFE-
By Sonja Reis
This month marks five years since the little experiment known as Gazette 2.0 began publishing on a bi-weekly basis. If you only knew how many times we all wanted to throw in the towel…
Finances, lack of midnight oil and internal arguments as to the newsworthiness of certain topics top this short list of why we all want to yell, ‘Stop the press!’ from time to time. Yet, here we still are plugging away to bring you your community news.
There’s been plenty of good during those five years as well:
• Several Golden Quill nominations and an award
• Partnerships with Public Source, Pittsburgh City Paper, the Northside Chronicle, Ya Jagoff! Podcast and more
• Serving on the committee to help bring the Pittsburgh Media Partnership to fruition
• Mentorship to the many citizen journalists who brought something new to the table and left with a better understanding of what it takes to be a community journalist
• Classes, workshops, public events and ‘The Cheesiest Pizza Contest’
• Being named “Best in Community Journalism” during the Greater Pittsburgh Community Media Awards
As to that “Best in Community Journalism” award, I was humbled to see how many people reached out to congratulate the team for all the hard work that went into earning that honor.
I was also quite surprised to see that one of our longtime columnists, Pastor James Hogan, dedicated a whole column to ruminating on the award and the state of journalism today. His column may have given me a big head.
If you happened to reach out with congratulations or appreciation, thank you for your kindness.
Looking ahead to year six, remember it's time for you to nominate someone for Person of the Year 2022. This will be the fourth year we bestow this honor on a community member who exemplifies leadership, goodwill and positive contributions to their community. You can send your nomination online at Gazette20.com. You can also nominate someone by postal service. Send your nomination and contact info to P.O. Box 224, McKees Rocks, PA 15136.
Editor & Publisher
Gazette 2.0 News