The list of places you could get a good fish fry has changed since last year. The American Legion Post 862 in Robinson is not holding its annual event due to a lack of volunteers. The Moon Township Volunteer Fire Company is undergoing renovations, and can’t host their annual fish fry. The Rennerdale VFD opted out of its fundraiser this year due to the rise in food prices.
But don’t worry–Gazette 2.0 has you covered. Anyone with a craving for fried fish and hand-made pierogies need look no further than this list.
• Archangel Gabriel Parish: 343 Forest Grove Road, Kennedy, Starting Feb. 24 and every Friday through Lent, call to order starting at 10 a.m, Pick up or eat in from noon to 7 p.m. at the St. Malachy Cafeteria. Call (412) 771-0848 to order.
• Our Lady of Victory Maronite Catholic Church: 1000 Lindsay Road, Carnegie. Beginning on Feb. 24 and throughout Lent. Call (412) 278-0841 to order on Friday prior to 4 p.m. Meals are served from 4 to 7 p.m. Eat in or take out. Standards like fish, fries, shrimp, mac and cheese are all on offer, as well as special Lebanese items.
• Parkway West Career and Technology Center: 7101 Steubenville Pike, North Fayette, offers a fish fry from 2 - 6 p.m. The event begins Feb. 24 and lasts from March 3 to March 31. Take out only. To order, (412) 923-1772, ext. 152. Menu is available online and in addition to savory delights of the sea, baked goods made by students K-12 are on sale, too.
• St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church of St. Raphael the Archangel Parish, 330 3rd Ave., Carnegie, will begin on Feb. 24 and every Friday until March 31.
Dinner is served from 3 to 7 p.m. with eat-in and take-out options. This year they offer fried or baked fish dinner, fish trio dinner which includes a piece of fried fish, crabcake and fried shrimp, crab cake dinner and fish sandwiches. All dinners come with fries and coleslaw. They also offer sides, including pierogi and haluski. To order ahead, (412) 857-5318.
• St. Joseph Roman Catholic, 1034 5th Ave., Coraopolis will be open every Friday during Lent with multiple offerings. Eat-in, take out or phone orders are available. Call, (412) 329-7911.
• Ascension Catholic Church and St. Philip Parish Office, 114 Berry St., Sheraden. Dinner is served from 4 to 7 p.m. starting on Ash Wednesday and every Friday, including Good Friday. They are offering fried shrimp, crab cakes, haluski, soups, as well as, fried and baked fish. Dine in or order for take out at (412) 922-6300, ext. 5.
• The Ancient Order of Hibernians – Division 32 in Carnegie will host its fish fry at the Ukrainian American Citizens Club, 302 Mansfield Ave., every Friday during Lent beginning Feb. 24. Hours are 4 to 7 p.m.
PYROHY / PIEROGIE
• Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church, 225 Olivia St., McKees Rocks, 9 a.m. to noon starting on Feb. 24. They are selling cheese, sauerkraut and potato pierogies. Call on Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon to place orders for pick up on Friday. The hand-pinched pierogies will be on offer through most of March, until Holy Week. To order, (412) 331-5155.
• Holy Trinity Catholic, 730 Washington Ave, Carnegie, currently taking orders for pierogies by the dozen every Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call (412) 412-276-9897 to leave a message with your order; provide name, number, pickup date and time along with preferred type. Potato, cottage cheese, sauerkraut, bacon and chive, jalapeno, three-cheese spinach, and prune (seasonal) are all on offer.
• St. Mary Ukrainian Orthodox Church, 116 Ella St., McKees Rocks, sells handmade pierogies on Fridays throughout the year, Labor Day through Memorial Day, except on major holidays. Call to order by 10 a.m. Pick-up is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call, (412) 331-9288.