McKees Rocks cites new Dollar General
-ON THE AGENDA-
A slate of items was discussed during McKees Rocks Borough council’s Feb. 14 voting meeting including issues with the new Dollar General at 1225 Chartiers Ave.
Council President Archie Brinza said the store opened on Feb. 1 despite the sidewalk in front being unfinished and some other improvements that had been left undone, including a wall that was to be painted white.
“We are not happy with what’s been going on with Dollar General,” Brinza said.
Brinza also said the owner had been cited and was working to improve the appearance of the building.
Other items of discussion include:
• McKees Rocks officially named Mike Stepek Jr. as the borough’s Emergency Operations Management Coordinator, replacing McKees Rocks Volunteer Fire Department Chief Donald Baird.
• Council unanimously agreed to waive fees for the McKees Rocks Women’s Alliance April Fool’s Day Parade, scheduled for April 1. The second annual event includes a walk from Black Forge Coffee House to the Roxian Theater for revelers dressed in costume. The event, planned from 2-6 p.m. requires that Furnace Street be blocked. “It’s really just a love of our community,” Nancy Rees, McKees Rocks Women’s Alliance member said.
• Council voted unanimously to purchase a drone for code enforcement purposes to explore dilapidated buildings at the cost of no more than $600.
• A payment to Tom Sipes Demolition in the amount of $19,500 for the emergency demolitions of 309, 311 ½ and 313 Olivia Street, was approved payable from the general fund.
• A representative of Coraopolis-based Shekinah House of Prayer Ministries indicated interest in holding a wellness event in McKees Rocks.
Annette Jackson said the group is interested in using the former Rite Aid Parking lot in the Shoppes at Chartiers Crossing. The organization is currently consulting with the McKees Rocks Women’s Alliance and plaza owner Craig Rippole about bringing the plans to fruition.