Directors at Sto-Rox voted to create a 7th and 8th-grade football team and approved more personnel comings at its most recent meeting.
The board approved the creation of a football team for 7th and 8th graders and a middle school cheerleading squad which will be organized by Interim Athletic Director Josh Kemp, who was named the Athletic Director for the 2023-2024 school year. Kemp will earn a $10,000 stipend for the position.
The cost to set up both teams and the cheerleading squad is between $13,000 - $15,000, which would cover the hiring of three coaches, equipment, referees and expenses which may arise, according to the district.
Kemp is seeking fundraising opportunities to cover costs.
Learning support teacher Reita Campbell resigned from the upper elementary school, as did general worker at the junior/senior high school Teresa Eggleston. Since the start of the year, 16 teachers and two administrators have resigned. Four teachers and one administrator have retired.
Communications manager Dan Rinkus said the retirements were due in part to a retirement incentive for teachers included in the August 2022 contract agreement.
"While this year has been one of transition, these figures are in line with historical trends for the Sto-Rox School District. That being said, it's a trend we hope to change – for the better – in the years to come," Superintendent Megan Van Fossan said via statement.
In related staffing news:
• Timothy Liparula was approved as Assistant Principal for Sto-Rox Upper Elementary at a salary of $82,000. Liparulo previously worked in the Butler Area School District as a life science teacher.
• Colleen Storer was hired as counselor for Sto-Rox Primary Center.
• Bethany Hudac was transferred to be the Dean of Students for the Primary Center.
• Chris Christiansen was appointed as Acting Technology Director for the district.
• The district advertised for a Dean of Students position at the Jr./Sr. High School.
• Brian Browning, a Sto-Rox physical education teacher, was hired as head basketball coach. He has more than 15 years of experience in coaching, Rinkus said. Browning’s stipend will be $3,000.
• Alec Bopp, described by the district as a Sto-Rox native, was hired as assistant coach at a $1,500 stipend.
• The board approved an additional security guard at the junior/senior high school, the board is working out an agreement with The Commission, LLC to determine cost for the additional employee.
• The board rescinded offers of employment to two paraprofessionals for failing to complete pre-employment requirements.