Photo by Izzy McDermott
Viking Jaymont Green Miller slips past Antelope Colin Crawford Sept. 9.
By Ken Hohman
When you outplay your opponent and still come out on the losing side of things… well, that’s what the Sto-Rox Vikings are dealing with after falling to the Antelopes of Avonworth on Sept. 9.
While the Vikings cleaned up with total yardage against Avonworth at 433 versus 197. The difference is the Vikings turned the ball over four times to the Antelopes two. Avonworth scored their extra points, and the Vikings did not.
The Vikings got on the board first after Avonworth’s fumble, scoring on a four-yard touchdown pass from Josh Jenkins to Diego Ellis. The Vikings again struck paydirt on a touchdown pass from Jenkins to Zay Davis for 47-yards, to give Sto-Rox a 12-0 lead.
After a Viking fumble in their territory, Avonworth got on the board with a 15-yard run by Luke Hilyard and the kick was good. Vikings led 12-7. The Vikings misplay the kickoff and Avonworth recovers five plays later when Luke Garda scores with a four-yard touchdown run accompanied by another great kick. Avonworth now leads 14-12 going to halftime.
Both teams moved the ball in the second half. The Vikings shot themselves in the foot, twice having the ball down within the Avonworth 25-yard line but both times the Lopes intercepted Vikings passes. After the second interception, the Lopes started to get gain momentum on runs by Luke Hilyard. Brandon Vital-Biagiarelli scored from the one-yard line to give the Lopes 21-12 lead. The Vikings were not done. Josh Jenkins connected to Drevon Miller Ross for a 69-yard touchdown pass with nine seconds left. The Lopes claimed victory with a final score of 21-18.
• Quarterback Josh Jenkins completed 12 of 28 passes for 323 yards and three touchdowns.
• Receiver Zay Davis caught five passes for 133 yards and a touchdown.
• Receiver Drevon Miller Ross caught three passes for 117 yards and a touchdown. He also had a fumble recovery.
• Amere Hibbler rushed for 73 yards on 13 carries.
• On defense, Kquartazz Kirksey had 13 tackles.
• Amare Harper and Amere Hibbler each had 11 tackles; with Hibbler also adding a sack and fumble recovery.
• Zay Davis snagged an interception.
The Vikings will be on the road Sept.16 at Chartiers-Houston and will come home the following for homecoming festivities.